Welcome to Big Mountain Photography
(Dashan Sheying –大山摄影)
Planned the trip last night from a selection of 5 options, got up and out at 5:30a. It was the correct choice. The drive was awe inspiring for a photographer as often I saw the shot, visualized the results and had to keep driving by with no place to park. A common theme here in the UK, not enough parking spaces along the roads for us tourists.
I went seeking landscapes with my big gun, Shenhao 617 view camera with movements included. However, I found interesting Peoplescapes – see gallery below.
I can’t provide the instant gratification we now enjoy with digital so let me explain my analog experience including TGW and TGR. I made errors – okay stand up, brush off the dust and learn:
Things Gone Wrong (TGW)
- Forgot to close shutter after focusing
- Forgot to open the shutter at wide open, i.e. f/5.6
- Forgot to open the dark slide, 2x
- Couldn’t see F/45 on top the lens with tripod height – found the f numbers underneath
- Shutter cable malfunctioned due to my error and left stuck open – need to check it out. More likely a personal problem.
- Exposure 3 will be interesting with a selfie given the effect of number 4.
- Need a lanyard to hold the Pentax Spot Meter V
- Need a bag to hold the film back from the tripod
- Get the Loupe on a retracting pull string
- Couldn’t see the exposure numbers to clearly set 2, 5, 8 and 11. Bring my little spotlight next time to see the exposure number.
- Exposure #4 may be short of 17cm from number 10.
- Dark cloth (Red/Black w/velcro) works okay yet needs to be tighter up against the rear standard.
Things Gone Right (TGR)
- Buying the 300mm f/9 was a good choice to reach out. May have exceeded the bellow factor as finally got focus with little to spare. Need to check actual front to rear standard lengths next time.
- The 150mm f/5.6 is an all around lens. Used the Viewfinder App with my 4 focal lengths loaded and in each case it was in the top 2 to select.
- The loupe was fine at 6x.
- Large Format bag w/gear worked fine. No new bag needed
- Focusing was fun, nothing complicated this time.
- Exposures 1 and 2 should be okay – let’s see after the scans from the Palm Lab here in Birmingham, ~2 weeks out.
- Will need Lee Filters (Grads for sure to balance the light)
- Spot meter worked well as took the EV reading for Zone 3 to capture shadow detail with Etkar 100 then shifted the EV number from the “South” position to Zone 3 on the paper scale. Felt though the SS of 1/15 and 1/30 were too quick. Didn’t use the Reciprocity Timer App as it has a known bug which kicks one out when the camera icon is touched. Developer working it.
From TGW, I need to create a brief “Pilot Take-Off Checklist” so to say for shooting large format style. Next task.
Patronage: Please “Follow” along as our adventure continues in the UK and EU Comments, Likes, … always welcomed here.
Note: Bold, Underlined Red highlighted text is an external link of interest.
Shenhao 617 Setup (iPhone w/o Post)
Peak District Walkabout Gallery